Pakistan National Commission for UNESCO (PNCU)
Pakistan joined UNESCO on September 14, 1949. Initially,c a liaising setup was established in 1950 to collaborate with UNESCO in the Ministry of Education.
The PNCU was established on July 1, 1985 as an autonomous body through a Resolution in November 1984.
The PNCU became as a Sub-ordinate Office of the Ministry of Education on December 29, 2004, after a collective Supreme Court judgment, on autonomous departments created without legislation.
After 18th Amendment in the Constitution, PNCU has transferred to Economic Affairs Division in April 2011 and to the Ministry of Federal Education and Professional Training from June 08, 2012.PNCU was established in 1985as an Autonomous Body through Resolution. Pakistan is a Member UNESCO Executive Board since 1951.
PNCU coordinates with UNESCO/ISESCO Programmes and activities.
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
United National Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization were formed on November 16, 1945.
First official General Conference of UNESCO was held in November 19 to December 10, 1946 in Paris (30 countries participated)
UNESCO is a specialized Agency of United Nations. It promotes peace, progress, and prosperity among the Member States and promotes international cooperation among 193 Member States and 11 Associate Members.
for more details about UNESCO click here
Islamic World Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ICESCO)
Islamic World Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ICESCO) – a Replica of the UNESCO working model for the Muslim World as an organ of Organization of Islamic Countries (OIC).
The Founding Conference of ISESCO was held in Fez, Kingdom of Morocco (May 2-6, 1982) and contributed to the achievement of world peace and security, through its areas of competence. Use of advanced technology within the framework of Islamic values and traditions
Consolidating understanding among Muslim countries and Ummah among 54 Member States and 03 Observer States (Russian Federation, Kingdom of Thailand & Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus).
FUNCTIONS/MANDATE OF PNCU
- Receive communications from UNESCO and to take initiative through concerned Ministries;
- Ensure liaison with, and participation of individuals and institutions of competence in the filed of education, science, culture & mass communication;
- Coordinate with other National Commissions in joint studies on matters of interest to UNESCO/ICESCO;
- Coordinate with concerned Ministries regarding UNESCO General Conference, Executive Board, and ICESCO’s General Conference, and Executive Council Meetings.
- Liaison with Permanent Delegate/Deputy Permanent Delegate of Pakistan to UNESCO, Paris
Vision, Mission, Values
Coordination between Government of Pakistan and UNESCO/ICESCO Headquarters as well as field offices and National Commissions.